What Is a Turnover Proceeding? | Katz Melinger PLLC
Katz Melinger PLLC
Free Initial Phone Consultation
Menu Contact
Free Initial Phone Consultation
Proactive. Pragmatic.
Committed To Obtaining Results.

What Is a Turnover Proceeding?

What Is a Turnover Proceeding dplic 178584846.jpg

Enforcing a judgment is largely a procedural endeavor. When a judgment is entered, the law bestows upon the creditor certain procedural powers that can be used not only against the debtor, but against people and entities associated with the debtor as well. One tool in a creditor's arsenal that can be very effective in enforcing a judgment is known colloquially as a turnover proceeding.  

In a turnover proceeding, a judgment creditor petitions the court to order a third party to 'turn over' property to the creditor that is in the possession of the third party but which belongs to the debtor. This can be money that the third party owes to the debtor, or property that the third party is holding on behalf of the debtor.

Essentially, if Company A owes money to the judgment debtor, or is holding the debtor's property, the creditor initiates a turnover proceeding to ask the court to direct Company A to turn the money or property over to the creditor, directly rather than have Company A pay the debtor what it owes. This means that the petition is brought by the creditor against Company A, not the debtor, although the debtor is entitled to notice of the proceeding.

Some examples in which a creditor may ask for a turnover proceeding include: 

  • A debtor sends an invoice to a client for services rendered, which the client has not yet paid. The creditor can ask the court for a turnover order requiring the client to pay the balance of the invoice directly to the creditor. 
  • A creditor learns that the debtor has a safe deposit box at a bank. The court can order the bank to turn over the contents of the safe deposit box (cash, jewelry, etc.) to the creditor, up to an amount sufficient to satisfy the judgment (see Using the Contents of a Safe Deposit Box to Satisfy a Judgment). The same procedure can be used to take money out of the debtor's bank account. 
  • An individual debtor owns shares of a closely held corporation. The creditor can seek an order requiring the corporation to sell the individual debtor's shares and turn over the proceeds from the sale to the creditor (see What to Do When a Debtor's Assets Are Tied Up in a Corporation). Note that a creditor's rights to enforce a judgment against an individual debtor's membership interest in an LLC is different than as to shares of a corporation; we'll address those differences in a future post.

Turnover proceedings are considered 'special proceedings' under the CPLR. Creditors looking to file a turnover proceeding should seek the assistance of an experienced attorney who can navigate the specific procedures that must be followed in order to effectively and efficiently satisfy the judgment.

To learn more about how Katz Melinger can help you collect, contact us today.

Adam J. Sackowitz.jpg

Adam J. Sackowitz
Email us

Don't miss an update! Sign up for our newsletter here.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Schedule Your Consultation Today

To begin protecting your legal rights and financial interests, schedule an initial consultation. We clearly communicate your legal options in an honest manner.

Contact Katz Melinger PLLC at 212-460-0047 or reach us by filling out the form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Address

Katz Melinger PLLC
280 Madison Avenue
Suite 600
New York, NY 10016

Phone: 212-460-0047
Fax: 212-428-6811
New York Law Office Map

Review Us

Can we help you find a topic?