Answers to your questions about commercial collections in NY | Katz Melinger PLLC
Katz Melinger PLLC
Free Initial Phone Consultation
Menu Contact
Free Initial Phone Consultation
Proactive. Pragmatic.
Committed To Obtaining Results.

Answers to your questions about commercial collections in NY

Collecting on unpaid debt from another business is an important part of many small businesses in New York. Yet collecting on unpaid debt is no easy task. The best way to collect depends upon the type of debt, who owes the debt and applicable laws.

Below, we’ve answered a few common questions about collecting from a business entity, otherwise known as commercial collections. Please keep in mind that this is not legal advice for your circumstances. You can get more information about your own best course of action by speaking with an experienced collections attorney.

Does it matter if it is consumer or commercial debt?

There are significant differences when pursuing collections against a consumer and collecting against another business. For example, consumer collections are regulated by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The FDCPA strictly regulates collection efforts against consumers. It does not, however, govern collections against business entities.

What is the difference between a collection agency and an attorney?

Many businesses go first to a collection agency. However, collection companies require you to turn your debt over to them. In addition, collection agencies cannot take certain legal actions, like suing the debtor. They tend to pursue collections only by making phone calls and writing letters.

What does commercial collections involve?

The first part of any collections action is to investigate the debtor’s assets and liabilities. There will also be initial collections efforts not involving the courts. If these are unsuccessful, the next step is to file a lawsuit.

A successful lawsuit to collect on business-to-business debt will give the lender a court judgment. The lawsuit can be resolved through a settlement, or before the investigation part of the lawsuit starts, if the lender has supporting documents and submits an affidavit.

Once the judgment is entered, several actions are available to enforce it. These include contempt of court orders, obtaining liens and garnishing wages.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Schedule Your Consultation Today

To begin protecting your legal rights and financial interests, schedule an initial consultation. We clearly communicate your legal options in an honest manner.

Contact Katz Melinger PLLC at 212-460-0047 or reach us by filling out the form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Address

Katz Melinger PLLC
280 Madison Avenue
Suite 600
New York, NY 10016

Phone: 212-460-0047
Fax: 212-428-6811
New York Law Office Map

Review Us

Can we help you find a topic?